Animal Care Spec I Busch Gardens - Zoological (Seasonal)
Applicants must have minimum of weekend availability through January 3rd 2018.
The Animal Care Specialist I is responsible for providing consistent care and training of the collection of all assigned animals in the Highland Stables, Lorikeet Aviary, and Eagle Ridge areas; following all husbandry and training protocols for the specified zoological areas; working in a consistent professional and positive manner; learning and demonstrating required training and handling protocols for any applicable animals; demonstrating the ability to safely work with a diverse collection of animals including mammals, birds, reptiles and arthropods; having excellent guest service skills for daily presentations and interactions.
1. Perform area cleaning and maintenance of Zoological areas and enclosures
2. Perform daily health maintenance, training sessions, and animal presentations
3. Daily, weekly, and monthly record keeping
4. Daily animal enrichment and exhibit maintenance.
5. Maintain current behaviors for all applicable animals
6. Have the ability to recognize the overall health of each animal through daily observation and hands on training.
7. Knowledge of and the ability to discuss the natural history of the animals in the Zoological Department.
8. General knowledge of the SeaWorld/Busch Gardens Animal Training methods.
9. Demonstrate the understanding of the SOPs for an animal escape and the responsibilities of being onsite during this situation.
10. Participate as requested in animal outreach presentations including school visits, animal appearances in various media and stage presentations.
High School diploma or GED required
College level courses or degree preferred
One year of animal care experience with at least 6 months of hoof stock and/or avian experience preferred
Familiar with the principles of Operant Conditioning, specifically the application of positive reinforcement training preferred
Prior guest service experience preferred
Must be at least 18 years of age
Must have a clean driving record and possess the ability to operate a company vehicle
Must be able to spend long periods of time standing and be comfortable working outdoors in a variety of conditions