The Part Time Unit Supervisor is the direct report for all Part Time and seasonal staff. The Part Time Unit Supervisor is responsible for the
care, husbandry, and training of a variety of animals in a controlled environment and must also be responsible for guest, personal, as well as team member safety both during interactions and throughout the day. This position is also responsible to help ensure consistency of care in the areas of animal health, training and safety and consistent communication between Part Time/seasonal and FT time staff.
1. Carry out the basic function while ensuring the health and safety of the animals, employees and guests.
2. Make daily observations of animals and report any abnormalities to staff supervisor and document on vet communication form.
3. Implement and carry out daily animal training interactions in accordance with the direction of the department management.
4. Be proficient in the areas of animal health, natural history, and husbandry techniques.
5. Maintain all equipment, area responsibilities, animal records, and departmental notebooks on a daily basis.
6. Assumes a leadership role in overseeing and teaching less experienced team members in all aspects of the job and help Full time staff to train PT and seasonal team members.
7. Maintain a high level of motivation and a consistent professional approach to your job.
8. Adhere to all Busch Gardens, departmental and area policies.
9. Function as a team member showing consideration, tolerance, cooperation, reliability and the ability to accept and give criticism.
10. Seeks out new ways to improve guest relations via direct rapport with the public and improved interviewing techniques.
11. Must be able to act as a shift supervisor for any Highland Stables shift and be proficient in making schedule and line changes as needed and coordinate with other departments in the absence of Full-time leadership.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities!:
Must have at least one year of zoological experience with at least six months experience in the Busch Gardens Zoological Department.
Open to a flexible schedule including weekend and closing shifts.
Valid Virginia driver’s license.
Understanding of Positive Reinforcement Training
Education: Required: High School diploma or GED and valid Virginia driver’s license
Preferred: College level courses or degree and valid Virginia driver’s license.